Saturday, July 4, 2009

More Bad News

Well the latest on my Grandad is not good news. It's as I suspected: The reason he's not waking up is due to massive brain damage. There is also severe kidney and liver damage. The hospital has called in a neurologist to talk with mom and her brother and he recommends that they remove the breathing tube. Without it, Grandpa can't survive more than 20 minutes. We all agree that he would not want to go on this way. For me, it has raised a lot of hard questions about the technicalities of life and death. I talked to the nurse and she said that he can only last a week or two tops on life support, but that this would be a more humane way to go than letting all his organ systems fail one by one. I really don't want to be involved in the decision making process, but if it were me, I would choose the quick way out. We should have decided something by the end of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment